Thursday, September 15, 2011

Independent Research

Recently, on Science Daily, I read, in a way a comforting article regarding genes. This particular gene is linked to optimism, self esteem and 'mastery', the belief that one has control over his own life'.
When I first started reading this article, I really felt a bit disheartened. In my mind, I was thinking 'So how I turn out in the future is based on my parents?' This resulted in me trailing off, thinking about how the future would be like. This reminded me of a particular theory that one of my friend had., which was that only good looking and confident people would be present in the future. This results from the people with good genes reproducing with only the people with good genes hence good children while people with bad genes are just left out. This however is not technically possible, but as I said I was side-tracked, so back to the article. Even though the article states that the gene, known as oxytocin receptor gene, is the gene that helps increase reaction to stress and good social skill and enjoying company of others, the article also further says genes are not destiny. This made me heave a sigh of relief.
Looking at this article has shown me that parent's mindset actually has an ability to affect their child's mindset in the future. However, the child is still the main factor in terms of how his future would turn out like. This hence really made me look up to those people that are able to stand up from their previous generation's negative mindset and then change to become one of those people that changed the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment